Mandala Drum Shield Workshop
$69 includes workshop and cost of all materials.
Create your own mandala drum shield in this 3-hour workshop facilitated by music therapist and ceremonial artist, Michael Kenny MMT, MT-BC.
Each participant will make their own “Vision Shield” during this workshop out of “retired” drum heads. These are animal skins that have previously been serving as drumheads. Since they have spent their previous life receiving and transmitting the vibrations of the drummers as they were played, these skins resonate with rhythm, sound, and life.
All materials will be provided including drum skins, hoops, paints, and decorative items including feathers, bones, shells and other assorted natural enhancements.
Workshop format will involve:
- Opening meditation to get centered and grounded, to connect with the self, and to open access to the subconscious.
- Guided imagery meditation to assist in eliciting themes, issues, archetypes relevant to each participant’s quest and journey.
- Discussion of meaning of various elements and significance of symbols, colors, and form, and historical and cultural uses of mandalas for healing and transformation.
- Initial sketching of ideas and images.
- Creation of mandala on skin, mounting to frame, and decorating.
- Sharing of finished mandalas and group discussion of particpants’ experience through the process of creating their personal Mandala Drum Shield.
- Guided group journey of voice and rhythm, singing life and breath into our “Vision Shields.”
Limited to 12 participants to maximize each participant’s opportunity for one-on-one guidance.
To schedule a workshop email Michael at email@example.com
Payment accepted through PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org, by check or cash.
Michael Kenny MMT, MT-BC is a Dallas area music therapist, sound healer and educator. My lifelong journey to understand and utilize music and the creative arts as a healing force continues today with my deepening studies and exploration of rhythm as a transformational process.
Photos from a recent Mandala Drum Shield Workshop
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandala – In various spiritual traditions, mandalas may be employed for focusing attention of aspirants and adepts, as a spiritual teaching tool, for establishing a sacred space, and as an aid to meditation and trance induction. According to the psychologist David Fontana, its symbolic nature can help one “to access progressively deeper levels of the unconscious, ultimately assisting the meditator to experience a mystical sense of oneness with the ultimate unity from which the cosmos in all its manifold forms arises.” The psychoanalyst Carl Jung saw the mandala as “a representation of the unconscious self,” and believed his paintings of mandalas enabled him to identify emotional disorders and work towards wholeness in personality.
Medicine shields have been used by indigenous cultures to represent aspects of a person’s life purpose (medicine) — what we’ve come here to do.
The mandala has also been variously described as:
“The Sacred sphere: The Union of the Self and the Universe”
“A Perfect Sacred Sphere”
“A Source of Cosmic Power”
“A Permanent Abode of Enlightened Beings”
“A Place where Microcosm and Macrocosm Unite”